Year 2 @ the Living Rainforest
Year 2 became explorers as they ventured into The Living Rainforest at Newbury. We started straight away with a fascinating tour all about the plants and animals which make the many Rainforests of the world their home. The boys were able to show off their knowledge of the layers and their features whilst learning new facts about how living things adapt to suit their habitat. The Black Magic plant was particularly popular as it had evolved to repel water better than any waterproof jacket any of us had ever seen! The pitcher plant which digests insects with acid was another gruesome favourite. The boys learned many new facts but our favourite was that the poison dart frog is only poisonous because it eats poisonous ants. Those in the Living Rainforest enclosures were fed non-poisonous food and were therefore not poisonous! On our return the boys created some fabulous leaflets about what you can do and see and were buzzing to share their experiences.